Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Muddy Buddy plus a Dozen



My wife and I ventured out into the pre-dawn cool that often pervades a Dallas October morning, with a bit of apprehension. We were on our way to Cedar Hill Park south of town for our first ever Muddy Buddy race. It seemed like a good idea when I signed us up for it, but now that the day was here it was kind of an after thought. We are also in the midst of training for a half marathon, and that has taken center stage in our athletic endeavors.

Only one day earlier we had run our longest scheduled training run of 12 miles. Both of us were feeling the effects of that. The training run was the important thing this weekend. We both had a real need to see where we were in our training for the half. The run went well, for the most part, and gave us both an indication that we were thankfully on track there.

Now that the 12 miler was out of the way the Muddy Buddy was going to be a have fun thing, with no expectation. Just before we pulled into the park we had passed a number of convenience stores and my made the suggestion of stopping for a bio break. Did I listen? That'd be no. Well, as we pulled into the park, then drove another 5 miles to the parking area, we were both ready for a porta-potty. Which by the way were about a 15 minute walk fro where we parked. NICE! So after the pit stop we headed to the start line which goes off in waves based on combined. The sun was just starting to peek out which would have made the weather perfect, then clouds rolled at light speed and kept it pretty cold during the event. Which was fine until the mud pit. The mud was COLD!! George Castanza type shrinkage!!

Being Muddy Buddy rookies we didn't dress in a silly costume. Not tragic, but I'd recommend it. Yes it's a race, but it's a fun thing more over. We wore older workout gear. Again, not a tragedy, but throw away clothes are better. See silly costume. I liked the Muddy Buddy, and I might do it again, but I could take or leave it. I'd rather do the 12 mile training run, just saying. However, if you are a thinking about doing one, here is my don't be a total rookie list:
  1. Enjoy the spirit of the event and wear a costume.
  2. You WILL get muddy!!
  3. Bring WARM water to rinse off with. (one gallon is not enough, 2 might work, but more is better, this per person)
  4. Be prepared to toss your clothes (you probably won't have to, but...)
  5. Be prepared to toss your shoes (you probably won't have to, but...)
  6. Take a bio break prior to event site entry
  7. Bring a trash bag to put clothes and shoes in
  8. OLD towels to dry off with
  9. Stronger runner start running first
  10. Stronger biker start biking first
  11. Old blanket to cover car floor/seat when changing, or be used as a curtain
  12. Take off any jewelry you don't want to lose, wedding band and engagement rings included
  13. The packet pick up requires both participants to be there
  14. Keep your mouth closed in the mud!!
That's it. Now you won't be a complete n00b!

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture. I'm doing a 10 mile cross country on Sunday that is always extremely muddy and wet. I love that kind of race as it makes a nice change. Good tips as well. It has taken me a while to learn them all as I've made many mistakes. I had to drive home almost naked after one race.

    I found your blog via Brandon's Marathon podcast. I've enjoyed reading the last few entries.

    Good luck with your running.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you from the Brooks ID site...the Muddy Buddy looks awesome!
    -beth
    www.mileagemayvary.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites