Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A big few weeks!!


Well, for me it was an exciting few weeks in my short running career. I was preparing for my second half marathon and was feeling extremely prepared to have an outstanding run. And I was accepted in the Brooks ID Member Program. Here’s what Brooks says about their ID Program:

Brooks I.D. stands for Inspire Daily. These two simple words guide the principles of the program. Brooks I.D. is made up of over 2,000 members who are active in their running communities and share a passion for the Brooks brand. They are runners who are winners in their own right: Winning their age divisions, accomplishing their personal goals, pushing their own limits, and, by extension, encouraging others to do the same. They are coaches, mentors, and leaders.

I applied for this on a whim. I certainly like to think this statement applies to me, however, I truly thought that a company like Brooks was looking for someone that performs at a more elite level. Seriously, I’m not even a threat in my age group… yet!

That said I have been inspired by their choosing me to be a grass roots representative of the company. I have never been more passionate about a hobby, and being an ID Member makes me very proud to be a member of the running community. These folks stick together. Do you know why? Because weather your marathon time is 2:10 or 5:10, the road to get to the finish line is the same for an elite or running enthusiast. You can’t get there without doing some hard work.

Thank you Brooks for choosing me, and if you’re reading this I ask that when shopping for your running please keep Brooks in mind. No other company is as concerned about the “regular” folks as them, and no other company is as environmentally conscious as them. I’m proof they listen to their end users on level where a 10 minute for 26.2 is still a great goal.

Now for the inspiration, I started running consistently last December. I have lost 70 lbs, and have never felt better. Before you say, “I can’t do that” it just takes a few simple changes, consistency being chief among them. Just get started 30 minutes (that’s giving 1 bad sitcom 3 days a week) a week 3 times a week. You’ll see a difference. I promise.

Now, back to that second half marathon, I felt really ready. I was going to hammer this run. My training went great, my food was spot on, my weight was down. I felt bullet proof.

BUT… Texas weather is always fairly unpredictable, and my wife and I were enjoying the San Antonio sites in the warm south Texas sun. We were both really hoping that it would cool down for the run. It didn’t. That morning it was warm and humid. I had no idea how warm and humid, but it wasn’t going to be a banner day for a PR. I found out after the race the humidity was over 90% and temps were touching 80 degrees.

I hit my first split dead on and was close on the second at 10k, but after that is was pretty much the death shuffle. Brutal.

But running for me has become an analogy for life. Not every run is spectacular and not every endeavor in life is successful. But, if you keep at you will have success. Every failure leads one step closer to success. History is on my side. Almost nothing great was achieved by trying it once or even twice.

Running is indeed more forgiving than life, and your mistakes can be erased in a matter of days not years. This bad half marathon will be a memory, probably after this weekend’s long run. I’m already looking forward to running another half, because I know I can do better and I expect better. And again much like life putting one foot in front of the other and inching my way closer to my goals makes me feel like a better person. So until the next starting line I’ll be a regular guy running.

1 comment:

  1. I heard the San Antonio race was brutal. You weren't alone in your struggles.
    So when is the next half? I'll be doing the Lake Benbrook 1/2 marathon the end of January. West side of Fort Worth. I've done it twice. Really nice course along the lake. Not as crowded at the Cowtown.

    www.twitter.com/perseid88
    Phil

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites