Monday, January 12, 2009

Why I Run...


It is simple actually, both my parents died of diabetes, my mother at 68, my father at 75. My mother was taken quickly and overcome by her lack of activity. I watched my father's decline for years, the hero of my childhood, bound by his own habits to a walker, chair or bed. The words on his death bed still ring in my ears, "if I'd have known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself" Now, I have two beautiful young girls 5 and 2, I cannot let myself say those words to them. I need them to see me sweat and enjoy this body God has given me. I have no aspirations to run an Olympic marathon, but every time I come in from a run or bike ride I hope I'm building a foundation for my family. I also hope to be able to advise them well into their lives, side by side, arm in arm, Dad to daughter for a very long time. That is why I run.

This question is posed on Ryan & Sara Hall's website and without much thought at all the above answer was in my head. I thank them for this.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. - Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites