Thursday, December 9, 2010

Just the Half...


OK, I'll admit it, I've said it. When I'm wearing a marathonshirt people will ask if I ran it. My response, "Nope, just the half". The second it leaves my mouth I kick myself. Yes a half is less daunting than a full marathon, but it's still 13 miles. Seriously, that's pretty darn far, considering that it's a 15 or so minute car ride on the highway.

There was a time when running a 5K was a major accomplishment for me. I have to complete a full marathon, I haven't had the time for the increased training. My first half was done from the couch to a half in 10 weeks. That was not the best plan. It basically turned into a suffer fest for me. I learned a lot in that first half. Mainly that it is a major accomplishment, but with proper preparation a half is an attainable goal. So is the full for that matter. You just have to set a goal, find a plan (there are lots) and be consistent. If you want to get serious, you can reach out to a coach; it also helps to find some running partners. A local running specialty store can point you in all these directions.

I'll do my full this coming year, but "just the half" will always hold a special place in for me. It was my first running goal that truly tested me on a mental and physical level. Don't deny your self the credit for completing a half, don't let anyone else deny you of that either. If a full is your goal, the half is a great stepping stone. If a half is your goal, run it and enjoy it, after all it is "half the distance and twice the fun"!!!

1 comment:

  1. is that a real ornament? hey, when you do your full, make sure you blog about it. or journal. or both.

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites