Thursday, January 14, 2010

Polar FT60, a Swiss Army Knife.



This is a review of the Polar FT60 heart rate monitor (HRM). I've been using the FT60 for about 4 months. Prior to using this HRM I was using a Garmin Forerunner 305, so I got the FT60 with the S1 foot pod to track my mileage. I was leery of the accuracy of the foot pod versus the GPS. This was quickly put to rest. My experience to this point is that the foot pod is actually more accurate and consistent than the GPS unit on the 305.

The FT60 is easy to use, once through the manual and the watch functions are pretty intuitive. The highlights of the FT60 are these:

1. Can be paired with the S1 foot pod or the G1 GPS unit from Polar.
2. Has a built in training program called STAR.
3. Doesn't look like you father's HRM

The fact that this HRM works with either foot pod or GPS is what makes it so versatile. This HRM can be used to for any outdoor fitness activity. Run a lot, get the foot pod. Bike a lotor are a triathlete, get the GPS.

The STAR program is built into the device is kinda cool. It assesses your current fitness level and after asking a few questions it builds a fitness program for you. Every Monday you get a summary of your previous week's workouts, and if you followed the STAR program, you get a trophy on the face of your device. I have yet to attain this, but it something to shoot for.

Some of you follow your own training schedules, but for those looking for a fitness program it is certainly a place to start.

As for asthetics, this watch is sweet. I have gotten numerous compliments on and I even had a non-fitness friend ask me where I got it on the "that's a great looking watch" factors alone. You can wear it working out, casually and even in dress situations.

In summation, as far as HRM's go if you are into all sorts of physical actvities, and don't really know what your want or need in a HRM, this is a great unit. You can just the HRM and then add either the foot pod or GPS later, or both. Can you get a device that provides more detailed or sport specific inforamtion, yup, but if you want a do it all and looks great doing it watch, you have to go a long to beat the FT60.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I feel like I've been researching for months now on which watch (this Polar or a Garmin forerunner) is best for me. Seems like most people stick with one brand, I was happy to stumble upon this blog entry and see that you had both. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review. I was thinking of buying the Garmin Foreruner 305, as it has the GPS unit..but as I see that it itself is not that reliable, then I definitely will shoot for the Polar FT60. I am a relatively new runner, so this would be great for my training program preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the polarft60 and Ive never had a problem with it except for swimming. It won't keep the heart rate. Not sure why b/c it states you can use it for that but mine wont do it. Other then that its been well worth the money. :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites